NOTHING TO SEE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sun Nov 22, 2009

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rose
much too perspicacious to be taken in by so spurious an argument
Rose

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 6:17 pm

We leave for the coast tomorrow. I've spent the day doing laundry and I'll have to pack soon. Couldn't find a way to get out of this one. Whatever, I want the girls to have a good holiday so I'll just focus on making it special for them and hope all goes well....for the whole FIVE DAYS we're with Rob's family. Most likely with NO INTERNET AT ALL. Still, I have lots to be thankful for and I shall endeavor to count my blessings.

I know it's early but I wish each of you a Happy Thanksgiving holiday spent with those you love.

turkeydance corn turkeydance dinner turkeydance
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rose.Dawkins
baldar77
Sinfully Hard... To Please
baldar77

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:06 pm

Have a good time, and be safe. NO INTERNET??????? How am I gonna keep you up to date on world affairs (grin). Seriously, hope you enjoy your stay. I know 5 days with my inlaws would have driven me bonkers in days past, but I'm a much more mellow fellow now that I can be called "senior citizen", and would probably spend those days in a constant nap.

BTW, today is the anniversary of the assassination of JFK, 46 years ago. Since I know all you other guys are too young or weren't even born when this happened, it seems like a part of ancient history. But JFK was a hero to many of us. I was in 9th grade gym class, lat class of the day, when the announcement came over the intercom that he had been shot. I didn't really understand the ramifications of that, until I saw sooooo many people just crying at the news. When it later became apparent that he was dead, it became even worse. I remember coming home from school, my grandmother, who lived with us, just sitting there crying, my grandfather trying to console her. My mom I could tell had been crying, but she had composed herself by the time I got home.....but you could tell by her reddened eyes what she had been doing.

The following three days were a continuous display of national mourning, from the eulogies, to the services held, both national and local, and the heart-rending photos of Jackie, Caroline and John Jr. during the funeral I remember my dad cheering when Jack Ruby shot Oswald on national TV, then the realization setting in that we might never know what happened. I was young, only 15, but still I realized the import and what a national tragedy had just occurred. I often wonder how our country would be if this had never happened, as it had so many far-reaching effects throughout our national discourse, and our sense of being "American".

There were no "cable" news outlets at that time. All the news came from Huntley/Brinkley, and another national icon, Walter Cronkite....and they did a superb job of keeping us informed of the events that shaped our lives. I remember Cronkite's voice breaking as he delivered the news that the President had been pronounced dead. It was just so very sad, and I think it took a long time for everyone just to shake the numbness that we felt. I hope to never have to relive that scenario.....I don't think our country could survice it now.
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:51 pm

I think we are more callous now because of all the information thrown at us. People die daily in national disasters, bombings, horrific accidents - and we see the aftermath (and sometimes the event in progress) within minutes on dozens of channels and online. Bad news travels fast these days and there 's a lot of it.

Besides which, Kennedy was a Democrat. I would expect you to say "Good riddance" and hope for a repeat of that scenario....now.
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Oh, and I will have some access to Deanna's laptop but then I will have to beg Rob to set up his wireless stuff to get online.....if he remembers to bring it and being out in the godforsaken sticks of nowhere it's unlikely to find purchase anyway. So there is hope....a tiny shred of hope but hope none the less.
Back to top Go down
baldar77
baldar77

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Rose wrote:
I think we are more callous now because of all the information thrown at us. People die daily in national disasters, bombings, horrific accidents - and we see the aftermath (and sometimes the event in progress) within minutes on dozens of channels and online. Bad news travels fast these days and there 's a lot of it.

Besides which, Kennedy was a Democrat. I would expect you to say "Good riddance" and hope for a repeat of that scenario....now.
Democrat or Republican, he was a good leader....a GREAT leader, for what little time we had him. And you think me unjustly callous if you would think I would want that to happen again.

I didn't really become a "republican" until the late 70's/early 80's. Jimmy Carter had a lot to do with it, and his totally stupefying response to the Iranian hostage affair. Before then, I was just an apolitical type guy. But then I started paying attention to what was important to me, and my two small children, and their hopes for a decent life. I must admit.....it changed me into a conservative.
Back to top Go down
baldar77
baldar77

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

BTW.....hate me or love my conservative views.....gold is currently trading at $1160.00 an oz. Adjust your finances and investments accordingly. The coming inflation period will destroy them if you don't.
Back to top Go down
Bam
The Stodgemeister
Bam

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 2:20 pm

Sorry I missed telling you to have a safe and enjoyable trip before you left, Rose. I hope it's more than just tolerable. Smile

corn dinner turkeydance
Back to top Go down
http://bamsplace.com
Sponsored content

Sun Nov 22, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun Nov 22, 2009   Sun Nov 22, 2009 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sun Nov 22, 2009
Page 1 of 1