NOTHING TO SEE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hugh Manrace
Automatic Pot Stirrer
Hugh Manrace

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Empty
PostSubject: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:08 pm

We finally just saw it last night (after watching the first five movies to refresh our memories without re-reading any books or anything like that) and thought it was pretty not bad for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Rose
much too perspicacious to be taken in by so spurious an argument
Rose

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 4:14 pm

I liked it. It's been a long while since I've read any of the books or seen any of the movies so I didn't have all the issues with people expecting certain things that didn't come or being displeased about unexpected things.

I understand about the Wesley event substitution but some people I live with can't get past it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rose.Dawkins
Hugh Manrace
Automatic Pot Stirrer
Hugh Manrace

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 5:40 pm

You mean when the death eaters attacked the Weasley house for seemingly no reason (after being sure to lure everyone out of the house first, so that, you know, they would all be SAFE from the fire???)

I didn't get why they spend SOOOOO much time showing us Malfoy practicing with the disappearing cabinets when the death eaters that he eventually brought to Hogwarts with it did NOT actually DO anything of any importaince, except maybe mess up the cafeteria a little bit! Snape was already there. What did having the rest of those guys show up accomplish??
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Those are nits that movie watchers who have never read the books might legitimately pick.

Having read the books I could enjoy seeing much of it come to life knowing the background and reasons for actions not explained in the movie.

All the HP movies are flawed in retelling the flawless stories of the books and the characters are not perfect either. That said I love how they bring the setting of the wizarding world to life. Ah, to visit Hogwarts...
Back to top Go down
Hugh Manrace
Automatic Pot Stirrer
Hugh Manrace

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Yes, having read the books, I knew why, but I don't understand why the movie makers put in things that made no sense in their movie. Why spend so much time in the movie on a subplot that bears no actual fruit? They obviously are counting on viewer having read the books and I'll make allowances for that (like having Harry give Snape Sirius Black's nickname of "Padfoot" in front of Umbridge in the 5th movie when it was NEVER mentioned that he even had that nickname in the 4th movie) but why waste so much time on such a non-event by not having the big death eater battle at Hogwarts? Maybe they filmed it but it was cut for time.
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Agreed, it was a waste. So were having more quidditch scenes....been there, done that but....the more Ron the better.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Manrace
Automatic Pot Stirrer
Hugh Manrace

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 7:18 pm

A little quidditch goes a long way. I could do without any of it that does not advance the plot, in both the books and the movies.

Otherwise, though, this was the most enjoyable one so far to me. The action starts right away and there's no Dursley nonsense. I'm glad the last book will be divided into two movies though, because there's no way they could put even all the important things into 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Oh, I liked the quidditch in the books. In the movies, too, for that matter but if something has to go....like you said, it did nothing to advance the plot.

I can't compare the movies to each other but I didn't hate the acting of Radcliff and Watson in this one as much as I usually do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince   Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NOTHING TO SEE :: NOTHING SPECIFIC :: What are YOU looking at?-
Jump to: