NOTHING TO SEE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mon 051809

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rose
much too perspicacious to be taken in by so spurious an argument
Rose

Mon 051809 Empty
PostSubject: Mon 051809   Mon 051809 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:45 pm

The first thing I heard this morning after my radio alarm went off was a news report on how the rainfall this spring after years of drought will likely produce a booming insect return. As if the mosquitos weren't bad enough already!

This is bad news for me because I have been enjoying the outdoors more this year than anytime I can remember - even yard work which is usually torture. Maybe it's because after years of toiling nearly single handedly Rob has managed to get the yard to 95% completion of where we want it to be - yes, there is an end game plan. Maybe it's because utlitizing the new patio and having the windows open have brought nature into my daily life more. Maybe it's because I'm in such better shape that I've started to enjoy the physical exertion.

For instance today I went on a mission to find the best price on Knockout Rose bushes. Now I have never been a fan of roses (despite my name) because of the thorns and vines. I don't know if they've become as popular elsewhere as they are here but the Knockout Roses are everywhere!

It's more of a shrub than a vine and it blooms ALL SUMMER LONG. The roses are kind of flat and wouldn't work well for cut flowers but it means the shrub looks nearly covered in color.

Mon 051809 Knockout_roses.274190432_std

Mon 051809 JessKOs

Home Depot was the same price as Pike's Nursery on the 3 gal but only HD had the smaller sized ones....so I was able to get 6 instead of the 3 or 4 I had intended. Hey, they'll grow bigger, right?

Plus I still have two tubs of mondo grass from my mom's to put in. If the rain will give us a break for more than a day maybe I'll get some more stuff in the ground.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rose.Dawkins
Rose
much too perspicacious to be taken in by so spurious an argument
Rose

Mon 051809 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mon 051809   Mon 051809 Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Something else to keep me busy, I brought back a straight backed chair from my parents a while ago that was my grandmothers. I had it refinished but the guy wanted so much to put a new seat in it that I balked. Anyway, I got the chair back and it looks great but no seat, of course. So I ordered a do-it-yourself kit for a rush seat. The kit is supposedly all I need other than the chair and a hammer. Even with S&H it was one third of the price the furnisher refinisher wanted - I've used him before to refinish some wood pieces and he does absolutely excellent refinishing work but he's high...and I already paid to much to have the chair refinished.

When it comes in maybe I'll posts some photos of my efforts.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rose.Dawkins

Mon 051809
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NOTHING TO SEE :: NOTHING WE DO FOR FUN :: The Daily Blaaaaaaaaaaahg-
Jump to: