NOTHING TO SEE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Republican Party

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rose
much too perspicacious to be taken in by so spurious an argument
Rose

The Republican Party Empty
PostSubject: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 12:58 pm

I've been pondering on this a little. We need a two party system (at least two but that's another topic).

I am really pulling for the GOP to get itself together. Best case imo would be a GOP that moves more center on social issues. A return of some intellectual elites would also be a plus. What I see in progress is something different. A regional party that is clinging to religious values that aren't very Christian. There's a place for people like Sarah Palin in the party, but not at the forefront.

I want to see the GOP adapt to modern times. I don't believe it's possible to go back to a small federal government - we don't see ourselves as residents of states first, we are Americans first. We interact in the global community - not just our leaders but us, we the people, online exchanging news and entertainment. Our country has to act as a whole in the global community and people in Iowa should have the same rights and responsibilites as people in Arizona. Local government shouldn't have to owe their souls to their party affliation.

I think the GOP could provide a second opinion on defining what is smart and effective government. Right now they are mired in the down part of the cycle but they will emerge soon enough - it's the nature of the beast. I'm really hoping they emerge headed in a different direction that what we've seen in the recent past.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Rose.Dawkins
baldar77
Sinfully Hard... To Please
baldar77

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 4:35 pm

The problem with the Republican party is that they have little mainstream media to support them. The democrats OWN the media, and thus are shown in a better light. When you have news anchors actively creating news that are detrimental to one party (Dan Rather, Katie Couric)....when newspapers actually lie on a given position (New York Times, LA Times) then the two-party system will go the way of the buggy whip. When the media will not ask the hard questions of candidates that they want to win, and demonize candidates of the party they want to lose, then not only is the two-party system in jeopardy, but the whole democratic process. I know you don't believe our republic is in danger.....but it is! Our constitution has been violated tremendously, and the power of the individual to determine his/her own life has been usurped in that process.
Back to top Go down
baldar77
baldar77

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Here's a short video (3 minutes) describing just how far the federal government thinks they can go.....after watching the video, think of the ramifications of just how much power the federal government is trying to usurp from the states......and how they can use that power. Forget Rep. or Dem.....those things will change with the election cycles.....but just realize how much control over you that this gives the federal government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHaUadsapc
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

baldar77 wrote:
I know you don't believe our republic is in danger.....but it is! Our constitution has been violated tremendously,

That is exactly how I felt under Bush/Cheney. I'll have to come back to the video when I have more continuous time online.
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 2:18 pm

K, I watched the video and I have no problem whatsoever with federal authority over water. No one should have the right to poison the water on their property because water resources whether they be ground water, streams, ponds or whatever are shared by neighbors.

Imo this is alarmist bullshit like the NRA screeching "THEY WANT TO TAKE ALL OUR GUNS AWAY!" as if the federal government intends to seize every bit of water in the country for their own nefarious purposes.

This authority will give the government recourse in dealing with idiots and morons when an offense is commited or to serve the greater community good (with compensation, of course). To me it is just like other necessary easement like with roadways.
Back to top Go down
baldar77
baldar77

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Well.....here's the problem. It amounts to confiscation of private property.....property that is owned by other people, or the states. Property that is used to water crops, provide recreational facilities, create revenue for local munucipalities. Taking that away takes away the rights of the owners, and enables the federal government to tax, or mandate, the usage of said water. You want some farmer to grow more corn, or soy beans.....no water unless he complies. Commerce going down the river delivering fuel to a power plant.....nope.....stay off our water.....unless you pay this exorbitant tax. Wanna engage in fishing? Pay me! There's a thousand scenarios to this equation.....all of them bad for individuals and local governments. It's not a scare like taking away firearms.....it's a power grab to control anything or everything that has to do with an essential life ingredient In short.....it's about control. You may have this picture of a benevolent government.....I don't! Neither did the people at Waco or Ruby Ridge.....
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm

lol I knew we wouldn't agree on this. I wouldn't have fit in as well as you at Waco or Ruby Ridge.

You don't give me much hope for the future of the GOP. You sure you don't wanna be a libertarian? wink1
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Back to top Go down
baldar77
baldar77

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Happiness is indeed an attitude. I can't say I'm ecstatic with my life, but I'm satisfied. I've raised two good kids, loved the same woman for 40 years, have reasonably good health, and am able to work, and be financially independent. I never set the world on fire, to be sure, and there are many things I would have liked to have done or accomplish.....but, looking at the whole picture, life has been good!
Back to top Go down
baldar77
baldar77

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Rose wrote:
lol I knew we wouldn't agree on this. I wouldn't have fit in as well as you at Waco or Ruby Ridge.

You don't give me much hope for the future of the GOP. You sure you don't wanna be a libertarian? wink1
Lol......I am way more conservative than the normal Republican......especially on fiscal issues. I'm not that hung up about lifestyles or religion.....Lord knows I've made my share of indescretions, and I don't attend church or belong to any one denomination. But the Republican party is the democratic party of 30 years ago, while the democrats have moved so far left, they're starting to make Lenin look conservative.
Back to top Go down
Rose
Rose

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 6:54 am

Well I'm the old female Democrat* who's supposed to be bitter I suppose. But I'm hoping that since happiness can be inherited (according to that piece) that perhaps I have benefited by coming from a long line of staunch Republicans. Overall I think I am a generally happy person.

*I always think of myself as independent but for the purposes of this thread and my current political leanings I'll go there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Republican Party   The Republican Party Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Republican Party
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NOTHING TO SEE :: NOTHING WE DO FOR FUN :: Don't Post Here-
Jump to: